On my 6th birthday, I was given a diary. It is green and has a lock and key. From that point on, I have been motivated to keep some sort of diary, log, or journal, on and off. If I could go back in time, I wish I had been more consistent; but, I am grateful that I have chronicled some significant events in my life, as well as, poured onto those pages creative works and prayers. Keeping a journal has helped me to grow and evolve professionally and spiritually. I even included art in many of them and later designated journals only for art works. Yes, there were times when I would let weeks or even months pass without documenting day-to-day experiences, but that did not stop me from picking up where I had left off. I encourage everyone to utilize a journal to expand themselves professionally and/or spiritually. Here are ten ways (of many) to use a journal that I have found most useful.
- To chronicle significant events and experiences.
- To talk to God through written prayer and meditation.
- To record diet and exercise.
- To plan (lessons, meals, gardens, events).
- To brainstorm ideas for stories, projects, business ventures, etc.
- To count my blessings and create a list of gratitude.
- To dialogue with my spirit to affirm my value and worth (love notes to self).
- To jot down clever quotes of friends and celebrities.
- To create poetry and/prose.
- To practice creating various art forms: faces, mandalas, lettering.
Please share the ways you have used or would like to use a diary, log, or journal in the comments below.
All rights reserved. ©2016 by A.K.Orobko